Saturday, October 07, 2006




My 100% handspun German angora knee socks are almost done. Instead of the usual short row heel, I tried a classic heel this time. The back of it was done in K1slip1, for extra strength. Plus I held a strand of silk thread with it as I worked for more strength too. I will post a picture as soon as I have them done. I cannot wait until winter when these things are keeping my feet & legs warm! I already have my next project on the needles too. They are the fabulous Meg Swanson socks in the current issue of Vogue knitting. Very seldome do I make thing exactly as is called for in the pattern, but these socks were so striking, I decided to "go for it". More later.....


Well, it is later now. The socks are done and here are some pictures. These are incredibly soft and warm. They are 100% German angora with great halo (although it doesn't show much in the picture.) Note that the top rib has some body and some resillience. This is a characteristic of *German* angora. The other breeds do not give a rib enough "body" to recover or even stay up. (There is no wool knitted along with this rib, only the angora). The background is some felt that I made a while back. It is waiting to become something. It is 60% merino and 40% angora too! Love that angora!

1 comment:

jeanius said...

those are beautiful!