Thursday, June 01, 2006

This is day 9 for another "solo" baby, born to Bitty, black German cross. Bitty is 75% German and she was bred to a pure German buck. The baby is doing well, has more than doubled in size and is very active. Unfortunately, I lost Gwen's baby. He got cold. I was bringing him inside, with nest material in a cardboard box. But babies seem to just dig down the the bottom of the pile, with insulation above them but none below, and that is what he seemed to do. The black baby was born after this, so I knew to try other things. He too came inside when not nursing. But I kept him in a knit thinsulate hat! He stayed toasty warm. He could not get out of it. And it seemed to wick away the moisture. I would use this method again for a single baby!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

You put a knit hat on the baby bunny to keep him warm? Oh, so cute. I want to see. And a black bunny. I've always wanted a black bunny. Instead I have two gray. You can see one on my blog under the Pretty Princess post.

Christ In Me said...

Well, not so much put a hat on him as put him in a hat! Fact is, on angoras, black IS gray in most cases. The guard hair is black, but mostly the down (that is the ultrasoft part) is shades of dove to white. so, the more soft stuff you get, the lighter it is. But their faces stay black all their lives. And oh so cute! Thanks for stopping by! - D

Christ In Me said...

Your black bun is ADORABLE!
I love your crocheted top too.
Donna