Sunday, May 14, 2006

Well, my great big 12 lb girl, Gwen did not produce any babies. This is my 4th attempt to get her bred, and it just is not happening. It is day 33, she *could* have them yet. But she has basically torn her nest apart and isn't pulling wool. So I doubt it. I suppose this is one of those many "disguised" blessings (as opposed to those that you recognize easily as blessings). My best wool producer is of an age to start breeding now and I do need the cage space. But I have a waiting list for pure German rabbits too, and I was hoping Gwen would get the job done. :( It is raining heavily, so I cannot clean the boy's cages out, and they really need it. Small inconvenience compared to the hundreds of thousands of dollars being lost at the Indy track this weekend.
UPDATE: I spoke too soon. It is Mon, May 16, and I went out to feed tonight and there was a single baby. Gwen built her the Taj Mahal to live in with great big heaps of wool. All for one baby. I don't know if she is finished or not. I found that baby in the corner out of the Taj Mahal and rather cold, but still active. I got the kit warm in my hands and tucked it into the abundant nest. For the time being, I'm calling it "D'Lynn Solo". Poor Gwen. She really really wants to be a mommy. And now she is, if it is only just a single kit.

No comments: